Sunday, February 11, 2007

59,232

Once on the lips and once on my cheek
That's how your kisses greet me
When we've been apart
When we haven't had the chance to know the details
Days and weeks and months between
Cold and windy in thinsulate gear today
Hot and muggy in thin shorts and tanks tomorrow
but still
that's how your kisses greet me

Smiling lips part when you call me "sweets"
That's the first thing you say
When we finally get to sit down
When we've exhaled and relaxed
And everything we carry with us from day to day
Melts away
Till the only thing left at the table is you
And me
And you call me "sweets."

Hours and hours pass like the years of a friendship
Your moments and our moments fly through my head
Not that I'm not paying attention
You always have my attention
But there are always, also, those moments
When I realize how much richer
how much stronger
how much more human I am
because of your moments that you've shared.
Moments like this one today.

All too fast, today's moment is done
Moderated by less wine
and a healthier lunch
Than we would have eaten ten years ago
And we smile at each other again
As you call me "sweets"
Like we've done a thousand times before
and you kiss me good bye
Once on the lips and once on my cheek.

No comments: